Phrrrt Bean Soup ...
It’s umbrella, hat, scarf, rain jacket, thick socks, gumboots, hot chocolate, pancakes, winter soups, stews, crackling fires, and red wine time ... Some of us simply cannot wait to slip into our pajamas and crawl into bed with satisfied tummy to cuddle ... the hot water bottle! Well, winter is here, so make sure to stock up on beans to make her a hearty, gluten free mixed phrrrt bean soup. Enjoy!
- Assortment of beans
- Ham hock (optional)
- Onions, garlic, celery, carrots
- Canned chopped tomatoes
- Chipotle pepper, balsamic vinegar, and parsley.
How to make? Easy peasy ...
Rinse and soak beans for at least six hours or take the easy way out; bring to a boil, cook for two minutes, then set aside for one hour.
- Rinse and soak beans for at least six hours or take the easy way out; bring to a boil, cook for two minutes, then set aside for one hour.
- Add ham hock and cook until beans are barely tender - about an hour to 90 minutes.
- Sauté the onions and garlic, add celery, tomatoes and carrots; sauté 10 minutes longer.
- Add sautéed vegetables to the beans and simmer 30 to 45 minutes longer; add more water if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste; remove ham hock, serve with parsley.
PS: And her all-time winter favourite, a glass of Kleinboet.